What's Work/Study at MMDG like?


The Work/Study program is essential to the successful operation of our organization. As part of the Mark Morris Dance Group community, participants provide customer service to Dance Center patrons and administrative support to Front Desk staff. In exchange, they receive free classes at the Mark Morris Dance Center and access to professional development opportunities.

Hear from former Work/Study participants:


“As a social swing dancer, this program exposed me to both the business and the professional side of ballet, modern, and contemporary dancing.  This exposure gave me a new respect for this industry and art form that I knew little about.  This new interest has inspired me to attend shows, take ballet classes, learn to spot my turns, and nail my first pirouette. “


-Santorini Rivera
Work/Study, Fall 2018 and Spring 2019





"Being a Work/Study at MMDG connected with me with some of the most talented people I've ever met in my life. Since becoming a Work/Study, I've begun producing a variety show and I've booked many people that I never would have known if it weren't for MMDG."

-Kara Lindsay Rowells
Work/Study, Summer 2019





Many former Work/Study participants have gone on to hold staff positions with MMDG, including as part-time Front Desk Associates and full-time administrative staff.


"Another dance artist told me about the Work/Study program when she overheard me say that I didn't know what my next step with dance should be. The program allowed me to take classes to further my abilities and immerse myself in a dance-based environment. Beyond the classes, the best part of this experience was obtaining clarity towards my options as a dancer – I was able to get two part-time jobs here and a (paid!) position with another dance company, Dancers Unlimited."


-Kareem Woods; Front Desk Associate & Archives Digitization Assistant
Work/Study, Spring and Summer 2017



“I became a Work/Study during a rough time in my personal life but every time I walked into the Dance Center for my Tuesday shift, it felt like a second home. Everyone was always so warm and welcoming and never made me feel like less than a team member because I was a volunteer. I left the program to start a full-time position as a Front Desk Associate at another dance studio. I always knew I would return to MMDG – the position was a mystery but I was certain it would happen. My hiring for the Front Desk Manager position brought everything I knew to be true about the organization full circle and I am honored to be part of this team.”


-Tamika Daniels; Front Desk Manager
Work/Study, Summer and Fall 2014

Applications for the Spring 2020 Work/Study term are open from October 21 to November 22. Visit our website or contact Hunter Darnell, Work/Study Coordinator for more information.

Comments

Popular Posts