Mark Morris Dance Center: Meet Nattie Trogdon

Meet Nattie Trogdon, freelance artist and dance-maker


photo by Jonathan Hsu

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you're working on.

I'm a performer, educator, and dance-maker based in Brooklyn, NY. As a freelance artist, I've had the pleasure of working for various people including David Dorfman, Kendra Portier, Mark Dendy, Michael Foley, and Doug Varone. As a maker I've presented work at Dixon Place, The Boston Contemporary Dance Festival, Brooklyn Ballet's First Look, The Joffrey School; Gibney Dance, Triskelion Arts, Juilliard, Skidmore College, The College at Brockport SUNY, The Dance Complex (MA), and the Taipei National University of the Arts in Taipei, Taiwan. 

I'm working on a few projects in various stages of process! A group work entitled "Greengirl" (which I was fortunate enough to show a first draft of at SharedSpace), a duet with my partner Hollis Bartlett entitled, "Transmuting" and I've just begun the initial research for a solo work for myself...which is new, scary, and wonderful!

Why do you love dance?

I love dance and movement because it's a visceral, cathartic, transcendent experience- it is past, present and future. I believe that dance can heal- that it's a vehicle for social, political, and personal change. It's a deeply personal journey that allows for self-discovery and a communal bonding experience which brings together all peoples regardless of their histories.

Why do you love rehearsing at the Dance Center?

Rehearsing at the Dance Center is wonderful because it's an incredible space that's buzzing with creativity.  I walk into the sun-drenched studios feeling inspired to make and to deepen my dancing practice. The community there is supportive, kind, and generous, and there's something really special about the history of the work being made there and the emphasis on dance education and creative art marking!



Want to rent space at the Dance Center? Visit our website.

Comments

Popular Posts